Re: Floating Scopes

Original poster: "Nicholas Field by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nick.field-at-hvfx.co.uk>

Hi Winston,

If you can faraday screen it effectively then there should be no problem.
Greg Leyh used a laptop scope inside the sphere of his BIG coil to measure
streamer currents in the megavolt level output without any problems.

You will have to be careful how you install it.  I would suggest that a
stacked toroid arrangement, with the space between the two toroids filled by
a chicken wire cylinder and the scope inside the wire, would provide great
sheilding without compromising the performance of the coil unduly. Of course
the precise arrangement depends on your coil.

You might want to point a good video or stills camera at the scope as well
as the binoculars, I find it much easier to evaluate things properly in the
peace of my study than with massive sparks flying around the place!   If you
do go ahead with this experiment be sure to post the results somewhere.

Safe Coiling
Nick
Nick Field, HVFX
www.hvfx.co.uk