Re: Bleed Resistor for Homemade/Large Caps - THE FULL DESIGN NOTE S

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/6/02 6:03:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: "Black Moon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><black_moons-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>I here everyone speaking about 1/2 watt resistors. I must warn you that the
>standard resistor size is 1/4 watt. (aka the standard leaded resistors you
>see in circuits, just under a cm long and about 1.6 or so mm thick)

When ordering new parts, one should always be careful to order the right
ratings from the catalog. When using surplus/salvage parts, it's always
best to know the ratings rather than guess at them, and much of today's
disposable equipment has components with safety margins reduced to the
absolute minimum to reduce cost and space. When discussing hand-wired
equipment, however,"Standard" is in the eye and age of the beholder. To
most of us over 40, 1/2 watt will always be the "standard" we grew up with.
 From the invention of composition resistors up until the mid-1960s, 1/2
watt was "standard size" and 1/4 watt was "low power". My grandson plays
with stuff where 1/10 watt is the norm. He thinks 1/4 watts are big resistors.

Matt D.