Re: Series Connection of IGBT / MOSFET Switches - SSSG

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

The point is that this series switch is "possibly" a replacement for a rotary
spark gap (async or sync).  Maximum PRF I've seen is 400Hz, point is
you charge a capacitor through the primary of your TC, then discharge
capacitor to PS return like an SCR in a capacitive discharge ignition.
Dwell times of up to 1mS to allow energy decay to '0' (or first notch)
can easily be accomplished.  Peak powers are still on "low" side for
a SG system (15kV -at- 1.5kA = 22.5MW +/- at maximum rating).

If you had a solid state switch that could reliably handle say 30kV with
up to 90% reversal at up to say 5kA (150MW peak), you'd have a
reliable SG replacement, but at a cost of >$50K in my estimation...

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Black Moon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<black_moons-at-hotmail-dot-com>