Re: TC discharge... safe or not

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

 > KEN,
 >
 > I didn't take it as an attack. ;-) Sometimes the fact that I can't talk
 > about exactitudes offends the sensibilities of some (and I can
 > understand).
 >
 > The Tesla coil doesn't R.F. burn, it's people who R.F. burn! (I hope
 > everybody from Colorado is laughing right now).
 >
 > People used to make glass anal probes for their violet ray wands (think
 > of it like a plasma ball up the wazoo - a sad butt true Tesla coil
 > related story folks). I'm sure that the curator of the Electrotherapy
 > Museum can attest to the historical accuracy of Violet Ray use. The
 > point is: it's not the size of the coil, it's how you use it... And:
 > people do dumb things with their Tesla coils and sometimes that's how
 > one learns (Cue Allanis Morisette).
 >
 > My position is that even the wimpy coils kill (the toddler in Oregon)
 > because of exposed wiring, etc., etc.. I know that makes me a "Safety
 > Nut" (the preferred term to the wholly offensive "Safety Nazi") but
 > that's my role.
 >
 > Jeff

	I'd modify that a bit to say that it's the END of the streamers that
burn - people, things, etc.  Even a few watts dissipated into your skin
can leave a nasty hole which takes a while to heal!  As for the violet
ray machines, I have a couple here, both of which have the particular
"applicators" you mention.  Shape is unmistakable!  Finally, I think it
should be emphasized that fatalities, even from "wimpy coils" can come
from contact with the primary HV supply, not the RF from the coil
itself.  That can cause nasty burns but is not in itself fatal.

Ed