Re: Waveguide TC

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Harold

One method is a cryogenic superconducting resonator (yes they do exist).
Check Jefferson National Labs site, home of the Continuous Electron Beam
Accelerator Facility (formerly CEBAF):

  http://www.jlab-dot-org

The below URL links to a student guide for the facility, very interested
reading
and yes it is a direct 21st century decendent of the CW VTTC...

  http://www.jlab-dot-org/div_dept/consortium/accel_brochure.pdf

Each cryostat is Neobyium has 5 cavities I believe, super cooled to -4 deg K
by L-He.  CW power by a very large (huge may be a better descriptor)
5kW CW klystron at 1.497GHz .  Two assemblies are mirrored imaged to
make a single Cryostat w/ 10 resonators powered by 1 Klystrons.
Each resonator at 5kW has better then 1MeV acceleration for electrons,
each assembly is 10-20MeV, electron beam have many passes through
race track to achieve final output of up to 6GeV (12 GeV upgrade in progress),
at very high beam current ~200uA .  This equates to 1.2 MegWATTs
delivered power to target area.  This is very close to most powerful
continuous beam accelerator in the world, and our local power company
loves it (at 300MW connected load, and largest in situ cryogenic Helium
plant in the world - :^)  ).

Most importantly, we talk about making the highest Q resonator possible.
The difference between a seondary coil resonator of 50 and 300 is rather
trival when you consider each resonator in this system has a measured
Q of 10^9 (not a misprint, 1 BILLON - 1milliWATT in = 1MegWATT
stored).  Imagine implications; the RF tuning accuracy to maintain a good
power match, and what equipment damage could result if the RF drifts
(at the 8th or 9th decimal point for that matter... :^)  ) and the phasing
between each cryostat isn't "so-so".

Jock Fugit, Chief RF and EE for project came to several TCBOR meeting
as have several folks of CEBAF technical staff.  A phenominal facility.
So to answer your question, yes, the technology definitely does exist,
literally in my
backyard (well 75-80 miles away, sorry can't get experimental time :^) )

Also, standard pulsed Klystron linear accelerators exist and operate in a
similar fashion using more typical waveguide sections.  These usually generate
up to a more mundane 1-20MeV acceleration for cancer treatments.

Stanford Linear Accelerator (SLAC) is one of the highest power
pulsed linear accelerators in this area, Greg Leyh may have some additional
comments concerning that system.  I'be been watching their ground breaking
work with IGBT's and pulsed power klystron drivers with great interest... and
hoping for several technical breakthroughs that can be utilized at our end
of the power spectrum.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA.

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>