Synch Motor Phase Controller question

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Regarding John Freau's SRSG Phase Controller . . .

1.  How do you properly set this controller up???

I think the procedure says to select a cap size so that you measure a
maximum 5V voltage increase at about
the midpoint of the variacs travel.  Is this correct.

Also what is theory on this.  I assume where resonant rise is the greatest
is where the phase passes through 0 degrees
so that with this setting you get a maximum +/- phase adjust from 0 degrees
by varying the variac (inductance)

Any help or experiences with this appreciated!

Thanks

Dan