Re: EM only coil?

Original poster: "Gary Peterson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <glpeterson-at-tfcbooks-dot-com>

 > I want to construct a tesla coil that is not about sparks but about EM
field.

You might build a solid-state power supply which includes a transformer that
looks like this,
http://www.tfcbooks-dot-com/mall/more/images/313irw2.gif
http://www.tfcbooks-dot-com/images/experime/art5_03.gif.

Tesla explains in his 1891 lecture "Experiments With Alternating Currents of
Very High Frequency, and Their Application to Methods of Artificial
Illumination" which appears in T.C. Martin's book INVENTIONS, RESEARCHES AND
WRITINGS OF NIKOLA TESLA.  [If your local Public Library doesn't have this
book they should get it.  Of course there's always Intra-Library Loan.]

". . . The ideal way of lighting a hall or room would, however, be to
produce such a condition in it that an illuminating device could be moved
and put anywhere, and that it is lighted, no matter where it is put and
without being electrically connected to anything.  I have been able to
produce such a condition by creating in the room a powerful, rapidly
alternating electrostatic field.  For this purpose I suspend a sheet of
metal a distance from the ceiling on insulating cords and connect it to one
terminal of the induction coil, the other terminal being preferably
connected to the ground.  Or else I suspend two sheets as illustrated in
Fig. 125, http://www.tfcbooks-dot-com/mall/more/images/313irw3.gif
(see also http://www.teslascience-dot-org/archive/descriptions/picture35.htm)
each sheet being connected with one of the terminals of the coil, and their
size being carefully determined.  An exhausted tube may then be carried in
the hand anywhere between the sheets or placed anywhere, even a certain
distance beyond them; it remains always luminous. . . ." (See
http://www.tfcbooks-dot-com/mall/more/313irw.htm for more.)

See also "Experiments With Alternate Currents of High Potential and High
Frequency" online at http://www.tfcbooks-dot-com/tesla/experime.htm.

Gary

Twenty First Century Books
Phone: 970-453-9293   Fax: 970-453-6692