Re: Waveguide TC

Waveguide need not be made of a conductor (and, for that matter, Indium
oxide is a conductor and transparent and is used on LCDs for that very
reason).

A glass fiber cable is a waveguide

One can also propagate a wave down a dielectric rod (used in polyrod
antennas).

All you really need is an  index of refraction discontinuity to make a
waveguide.

There are also very nifty waveguides where the wave propagates on the
outside of the dielectric rod in free space (very low loss at mm
wavelengths..)

One could certainly propagate a wave through a tube filled with an easily
ionizable gas.

It might not be efficient. It might have other strange properties, compared
to "conventional" waveguide, but it might be useful, just because of those
properties.  For instance, media in which there is significant dispersion
(i.e. propagation velocity is a non-constant function of frequency) are
quite useful.  A gentleman by the name of Newton made good use of the
dispersive properties of glass, for instance.