RE: Variac ratings

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Thats cool.  I'll probably do that then.  I only run my coil for a small
amount of time (minute at most).
I'll first measure my current into my NST first and then try some PFC caps
on it to try reduce some current.

Dan

 >My question, is can you push a variac for short periods of time.  In
 >example, can i push my 8.5A variac to say 12A for
 >short periods of time.

Dan,

Yes, most variacs can be pushed to 2X rated current or more for short
periods
according to the manufacturer's spec sheets.

I always ran my 2400 watt, 24" spark tube coil using a 7.5A , 120V variac,
although this was pushing it a bit much perhaps.

John