Re: Faraday Cage

>If you want a frustrating experiment with a Faraday cage,

>exactly in frequencies close to microwaves, put a cell

>phone inside a microwave oven, close the door, and call

>it.

         Different freqs.  and cell phones are exquisitely
         sensitive, to keep Tx power requirements down.

>(Of course don't turn the oven on!)
>I wonder if the oven keeps its own radiation inside...

         There are regulatory requirements.
         And one can buy leakage meters.
         Some quite cheap.

>My experience with sparks and Faraday cages say that

>they are not effective to completely block

>irradiation.

         A proper cage will block.
         Period.
         Getting one debugged is a long, painstaking
         task.

>Maybe they simply don't react fast enough.

         Usual problem is seem leaks or unfiltered
         leads (or filtered leads, with mishandled
         filters.)

>A perfect Faraday cage would require perfect conductors,
>without resistance or reactance.

         Copper, galv' steel, etc work fine.
         the pros use 'em.
         Works, when the whole thing is right.

>You can eliminate resistance using thick wires, but there

>is no way to eliminate reactance, inductive reactance

>specially.
         It gets arbitrarily low when sheets (even

         sheets with 'holes' (screen) are used.

--
         best
         dwp