RE: Micro Tesla Coil design

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Rolling your own HV transformer is certainly not my idea of fun.  Larger
bug zappers typically contain a 4kV/9mA or thereabouts current limited
transformer somewhat larger than your fist.  I should think that would be a
good fit for a palm-top coil.  They're pretty common at flea markets
(more-so in the summer), and ebay generally has many.

One thing to watch though is some bug zapper transformers (BZT's??) have a
potted secondary winding (a good thing), but within the potting is a
ceramic cap, in parallel with the secondary (bad), to zap the bugs that
much harder.  You may need to do some precision drilling to remove that. I
haven't yet looked at how easy it is to remove the current limiting shunts.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

  > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>