Re: Micro Tesla Coil design

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <f-h-at-c.dk>

Dan,
something is wrong, here

The smaller the core, the more turns you need to get the required
inductance. That`s why small transformers are a bigger pain in the butt,
compared to bigger ones that have fewer turns of more handleable thicker
wire.

10-20 primary turns sounds more like a 60 _k_Hz transformer

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list skriver:

<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > Actually, that is still a bit too large.  This size transformer shouldn't be
 > difficult to wind.  A simple E-core (non-ferrite) should do it at 60Hz and
 > per my ANSOFT
 > simulation, the primary only needs about 10-20 turns with the secondary at
 > about 200-400 turns for 20:1 to step-up.  Low current of course figuring
 > about 5-10mA at
 > 1000V-2000V.
 >
 > Dan
 >
 >  > Rolling your own HV transformer is certainly not my idea of fun.  Larger
 >  > bug zappers typically contain a 4kV/9mA or thereabouts current limited
 >  > transformer somewhat larger than your fist.  I should think that would be
 >  > good fit for a palm-top coil.  They're pretty common at flea markets
 >  > (more-so in the summer), and ebay generally has many.
 >  >
 >  > One thing to watch though is some bug zapper transformers (BZT's??)
have a