Re: Micro Tesla Coil design

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

just a quick word to say that the ignition coil is NOT the tesla coil per se
in my circuit but the high voltage transformer which supplies it.

Due to high output impedance/ low output current of the transformer it gets
progressively more difficult to charge larger values (eg more than a few
hundred pF) of tank capacitor to the breakdown voltage of the gap without
either (i)narrowing  the gap and keeping the BPS the same or (ii) keeping
the gap width the same and changing the BPS e.g. by adding a rectifier so
that energy is stored in the cap over one or more cycles of the input
voltage and is not  allowed to discharge except via the gap; I myself use
the latter approach and save energy in the gap over several charging cycles.

By this means I can charge caps up to 22nF or more to the voltage of the gap
but with bigger caps it takes more time to store up the required energy. The
energy stored in the cap IS the energy that is supplied to the primary of
the TC when the gap fires.

By the way, does anyone know how to calculate the resonant or LTR cap values
for an ignition coil HV transformer driven by a squarewave - I suspect they
are not large.

Jolyon.

Message -----