Re: Aaaaaaa!! My NST is toast! Salvage tips?

Hi Steve,

I think you have that amber stuff that has fibers in it.  I took some to
the lab people long ago that someone sent me.  I forget all the details but
it was some sort of epoxy polymer stuff with wood chunks in it as a cheep
binder and filler.  I posted something about it once but probably long lost
in the massive archives...

Bottom line is, nothing you have there at your house is going to touch
it.  It pounds like cold chewing gum...  The lab folks had a number of
chems for it, but nothing an amateur would want to fool with in the
garage.  In fact the chemical to dissolve it would cost far more than a new
NST...  Maybe just in hazarduous chem shipping charges!!!

There is a small chance in the hot place that freezing it in liquid
nitrogen and smacking it with a hammer may "shatter it".  Then a smaller
chance that the windings and all would survive in a reparable state...  But
you would have to tear away all the metal and...  Gee wiz, just time for
another NST...

There is one bright side to the fancy poly potting stuff.  It is far less
likely to carbon track, crack, and generally fail compared to tar.  My new
ACtown NSTs have it.  I would think it would actually be preferred as long
as you were sure not to over volt the NST (protection circuit).  Compared
to tar, it really is 100 times better, unless you have to remove it...

Cheers,

         Terry