Re: Coming close to finishing

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Alan by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><centauri010-at-attbi-dot-com>

>I'm coming closer each day to the final assembly of my

>first coil. It's powered by a 15kv/60ma nst

         Large.

>and has a 25"(23" wound) secondary. I have some questions

>on minor things. First, I've read that copper tubing is better to use for
>the primary than solid copper wire, is

>this true

         Sort of.  Not of major importance.
         _diameter_ is important, so tubing may be cheaper
         than wire.  Either should work.

>and if so, does the size of the copper tubing matter?

         Same diameter as the wire.  Which should be largish for
         this coil.  (currents in the tank will be well above
         the '60 mA' of the NST.)

>Also, what sort of wire needs to be used for all the

>connections(i.e. tank circuit connections and so on).

         These are fairly basic questions.
         Either well insulated OR mounted on stand offs.
         I's say #10 at least, for that power level, larger
         is better.  There maybe other recommendations.

>Third, what is the ideal spacing between the first wind of

>the primary and the base of the secondary?

         an inch or so.  Think this came up on the list
         in the last few days?

>Can I use a pvc pipe flange to connect the secondary to a

>piece of wood?

         I'd expect it should work.

>Last, I began building a geek group saltwater bottle cap

>and I ran out of my 6awg copper wire.  Could I use some

>spare copper tubing I have laying around as a substitute

>for connecting the bottles?
         Size of copper tubing?

         If same diameter as #6, I'd say yes, being aware
         it will not flex.
Season's Greetings to all...

--
         best