Re: puting on a physics demo

Original poster: "Mike Veldman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vmike-at-email.ceat.okstate.edu>

also anyone got any cool demo tricks for coils<I know
about the florescent bulbs:))>

In addition to the ion motor I have a couple of other props I use for my
science demos.  One is a plastic strip two feet long with 40 NE-2 lamps
hooked together in series.  I place this on or near the top of the coil,
not contacting the top electrode and work the variac to light all the lamps
demonstrating the inverse square law, the lights grows noticibly dimmer
toward the far end.  Second is a plastic tube two feet long with NE-51
lamps stacked inside the tube, not connected to anything or each other.  I
stand this next to the coil not contacting the coil, and work the variac to
light the lamps for a demonstration of the quarter wave charge on the
secondary.  The lamps will show a sine wave of brightness from bottom to
top.  The third is a 15 watt lamp in a bakelite socket with one lead to
ground and the second to an aluminum plate approx. 8X10 inches.  I run the
coil at a low power, ie. not sparking, and move the plate toward the coil
lighting the lamp, demonstrating radiated power.  These tools could be
scaled to meet your audience.  My demos are to class size or smaller groups.
mike

"I tried to contain myself, but I escaped"