Re: Capacitor in series with transformer or S.G ? What is right?

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> Honestly, I don't think it makes much difference. I
> prefer the spark gap across the transformer output,
> with the tank cap in series, like this:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/basics.htm
>
> The spark gap is more than just a switch--it is also
> the master voltage limiter for the power supply, and
> it may be more effective in this role if it is
> directly across the power supply outputs. However, I
> have used both gap/cap configurations with equal
> success.
>
> My $.02 worth.
>
> Greg
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg

The thing that I always had problem fathoming, is that
when the arc gap fires, it then appears as a short to
the power supply, yet at the same time this does not
cause a great jump in (transformer primary)amperage
input. The explanation given for the use of the rotary
arc gap seems to make this comprehensible, because
then the electrodes only come together for arcing when
the source AC cycle goes to its zero point in the
cycle, because the rotation of the arc gap electrodes
is timed to the source frequency. If the gap fires at
its AC zero crossing point, then a short at zero
amperage input is of no consequence.

Thus the gap operated in static case must be modeling
the same behavior? In one half cycle of source
frequency, the cap must be fully charged,(if the
supply can meet the demand of current made by the
capacitive reactance being used) The resistance of the
arc gap is such then that when the cap is fully
charged at the source frequency, it then discharges
across that gap to produce the hf oscillation on the
tank itself. But since the time for cap charging must
occur during the half cycle of the input, by the time
the discharge at gap occurs the source frequency must
be coming close to its zero crossing point. Thus the
arc gap already models what the rotary scheme
manipulates,No?

Here is where another question comes up. Suppose we
have a TC driven from a NST 15,000 volt 30 ma supply.
By calculating the reactance of around 50 nf, we also
find that is the ~value of capacity that would would
allow that 30 ma conduction to occur. Doesnt this
imply then that if we drive a TC with cap values above
that 50  nf in its tank circuit,from this transformer
NST , the source would not be meeting the demand?
HDN

=====
Tesla Research Group; Pioneering the Applications of Interphasal Resonances
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/