RE: c^2 and Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "Tuite, Tom by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <TTuite-at-ALLEGROMICRO-dot-com>

Interesting read, cool way of looking at things.  However, there are a few
things you should consider.  Sorry some of this IS gonna get OT.

1.) The "speed of light" is in fact a constant.  However, it is only called
"the speed of light" in layman's terms.  What we call "c" or the "speed of
light" is actually a constant that deals with the max rate at which energy
"quanta" is transferred through a volume of space in a perfect vacuum.  How
fast light travels is an effect, not a cause of this law. Sorry I can not
think of the exact correct phrase for "c" but I do not have my books on hand
right now.

2.) The propagation of light/energy packets/quanta is still not understood.
However, when one deals with light, the "particle/wave theory" comes into
play.  This states that light can behave as both a wave AND a particle.
This theory is more of a model than anything else but it seems to fit well
for light and leads to some interesting paths, definitely worth reading up
on.

3.) Go to www.slashdot-dot-org and search the actives for "light" one of the
returns should be an article that discusses a recent experiment where light
was slowed to a mere (relatively) crawl.  Check it out, it also links to
some neato sites about light ect.

4.) When dealing with fields, ie flux densities, and thier affect on coils
or any conductive "loop" passed through them.  It is the area of the loop
that "slices through" the flux lines that determins the affect of the field
on the conductive "loop".  And of course, to have any affect at all, either
the "loop" must be moving within the field or the field must be
time-varying. You're right about flux lines/densities though, no one has any
idea what they areally are, its just a tool to describe fields and thier
behavior :)  The Earth has flux lines (which is why a compass works) and
those are what shaped Tesla's desigh ( I believe).  Hope some of this gives
you some more ideas, keep up the papers :)

Tom T.
Worcester, MA