Re: Extra coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> Just a thought as you 2 are discussing the extra coil. Before we had a tube
> radio we had crystal sets that, at best, tuned 2 stations at once with low
> volume. When we added an extra coil (3 coil system) the volume went up and
> we tuned only one station at a time. The extra coil increased the total Q
> and made the tuning narrow. Is it not likely that a similar effect is seen
> in the TC with the extra coil?  More power going into one frequency band and
> less power into the unwanted harmonic losses.

Things don't work in this way in a capacitor-discharge system. Energy
transfer from the primary capacitor to the capacitance associated with
the last coil occurs due to the beats that appear when the whole system
oscillates at more than one frequency simultaneously (2 in a Tesla coil,
3 in a magnifier). Selectivity in a radio receiver is something very
different. The Qs of the tuned circuits are controlled to
produce a correctly shaped narrow passband, to allow signal from a
single
channel to pass under steady state conditions. In a Tesla or magnifier
circuit, the Qs are simply as high as possible, and there are no
continuous signals entering the system or filtering action.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz