Re: Extra coil

The original crystal set was made with a 100 T coil with a sliding tap for
tuning. The coil was placed between earth ground and an antenna. A diode in
series witk a high impedance earphone was shunt across the coil. The load
reduced the Q of the coil and caused broad banding. A second version added a
capacitor (variable ) in series with the coil and a seperate output winding
of about 25 turns to the load. This improved the Q and tunability. A later
version added an extra winding between the two. About 75 turns with a 600 pf
capacitor across it forming a parallel tuned circuit between the input coil
and the output coil.The volume encreased enough to drive a high impedance
speaker( no longer made) with enough volume for a small room of people to
hear.The extra tuned coil was connected to nothing,Just a hi-Q coil between
input and output. No one moved the transmitter or the antenna to add volume.
     Robert  H