Re: Pig grounding

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/7/02 6:59:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Jim Mora by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <jmora-at-jetlink-dot-net>
>
> Hello All,
>
> I am some way off from building a pig coil, but want to start thinking
> about the construction.
>
> I have received a 14400V pig that I ordered from T&R and am awaiting for
> my Hobart 225A arc welder to arrive from back east.
>
> There seems to be some contention on the proper way to ground the pig
> tank. Should it be grounded to household ground or RF ground? Also, I am
> assuming the copper strap to ground should be removed from the neutral
> terminal and neutral should be allowed to float.
>
> Thanks for your feedback,
>
> Jim

Jim,

I use two separate grounds for my system.  The main RF ground is used only for
the secondary ground.  I have a separate ground system that is connected to the
pole pig case, center terminal of the safety gap, and the 60 hz ground for the
control system which includes the switch box cases, variac case, etc.

I did not disconnect any connections to the neutral terminal.  I just input
power into the two outside terminals which would normally be the 240 volt out
taps and connect nothing to the center terminal.

Ed Sonderman