Re: 556 problems

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Matt

Need a schematic to help you.   8 volts out with a 14 V supply
means something is seriously overloading the supply. May have
a bad totem transistor, or bad/damaged 556.  Make
sure your voltages are to the correct points on the 555/556.
Direct power connections to certain points (discharge comes
to mind) will detonate a 555.  It will catch fire.  Is anything
running hot (if you can't hold your finger on it more then a
second, its TOO HOT).  Also make sure to bypass each end
of 555/556 with 1uF +0.1uF ceramic disk.  A soft power
supply will cause ground bounce and can "confuse" the timer.

Visually check board for workmanship and solder bridges,
that may expalin where the power supply overloading is
coming from.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chestefield, VA. USA