Re: Pig grounding - oops...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/9/02 11:50:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > > CASE1: I'm now grounding one hv terminal to RF ground which runs to the
> > > inner primary
> > > connection and bottom secondary keeping both ends "potentially" the same
> > > (pun intended) and at
> > > RF ground. I learned this from David Reiben.
> >
> > won't that put the pig's case at 7200V?? (assuming 14.4 kV pig)
> > ---------------------------------------
> > Jonathon Reinhart
> > hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon
>
> In reference to the case and what?
>
> With the case at mains ground measuring from case to hv terminal, I would
> read
> "near" 14.4kv. I would read "near" zero between the case and the RF tied hv
> terminal. If the case was RF grounded, I'd read "nearer" to both values.
>
> L1 is inducing current in L2 putting the potential across L2 at the winding
> ratio.
> Tying one side to a reference voltage (zero to 1-infinity) still shows
> 14.4kv across
> the L2 terminals. The case is tied to mains ground (power company ground +
> earth).
> If I had one hv terminal tied to 100v above "mains" ground, then I would
> read 100v
> on that terminal and 14.5kv on the other in reference to the case. This
> hookup
> simply keeps L2 from floating.
>
> Take care,
> Bart

Oops, I was thinking that the pig's HV winding was center-tapped, which would
put the center tap at 7200V and L2 -at- 14,400 V  to ground (L1). sorry, gotten to
used to NSTs...