Re: 556 problems

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

> Matt

Check Jan Wagner's site concerning 555/556 drivers for SSTC.

 http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla/SSTC/results-and-progress.htm

Make sure your reset line is hard tied to Vcc, or if you are gating
you will need a pull up resistor in the 1 - 10K ohm range to reset pin.
Pull reset low to disable output, and reset does have priority function
in 555 chips. Also, bypass the control voltage pin with a 0.01uF cap
to (-) of dc power.

The minimal part count comment concerns me some.  Watch your
frequency pots between DC and discharge, and discharge and trigger/
threshold pins.  A minimal resistance (1/10 of pot value) should be
placed in series with pot to prevent the pot wiper setting input
resistance to 0 to discharge (I've made same mistake and killed the
oscillator and the chip).  I am confident that there is a wiring problem.

If the circuit frequencies are less then 1Mhz
and the circuit works on a breadboard, the only reason it won't
work on a hard wired circuit is defective chips, wire placement,
insufficient bypass caps, or a wiring problems.  There is a physical
reason why the circuit isn't working.  I would physically build circuit
on both breadboard and circuit board.  Get breadboard working
and then physically ohm out each wire.  It will take about 2-3 hours,
you'll learn alot, and there will be something missing.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA