Grid leak thought

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All!

    While looking at the scope, I saw a profound difference between SG coils
and tube (cw) coils. Namely the rising edge of the RF envelope.  On the tube
coil the grid voltage starts low and goes high as the caps charge, eventually
shutting the tube off.  The tube remains off as the grid leak resistor drains
off the charge. This lets the tank circuit oscillate.  Mkay.  Got that.
    Now, charging the tank cap is a slope determined by tranny current and DC
resistance of the circuit.  But that's not important here.  What I'm interested
in is a way to get the grid's voltage to *snap* down  to the shutoff voltage
and stay there for a short time, (when the RF envelope decays), then snap the
tube back on.  An 833 can handle 30mhz, so it won't mind being slammed wide
open.
     Only thing I can think of is to connect the grid to a negative HVDC
source.  solid state don't like high negative voltages.  Possibly a ferrite
core transformer and use diodes to grab the negative pulses, but that still
ramps the voltage level. I want a near square wave to the grid. Winding a HV
ferrite core tranny on a toroidal core isn't appealing either.   Ideas guys?
Heh.  The grid leak network is just so darn convenient. Self-regulating, easy
to build...*sigh*  if it were easy, any monkey with opposable thumbs could do
it.
Shad (Sundog)
G-2 #1203