Re: Stop the nonsense

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kchdlh-at-aol-dot-com>

Terry (& n.b. all)-

Your distinction between talk and action is right on the money.  I'm sure you
will agree that the Tesla List should strive for "threads" (I hate jargon but
there it is...) that are based--perhaps in many cases loosely--on scientific
method.  Under scientific method, one can surely start out with
conjecture--"talk", as you say; that activity occurs all the time.  But if one
were to continue, one would do some work in order to then be able to offer a
hypothesis--the conjecture reinforced in some way by at least some evidence, if
only anecdotal.  And the next step would be the development of a theory; not
"theory" as in "it's just a theory" but theory as in "explanation backed by
confirmable evidence".  Then somewhere along the way, actual hardware can make
its appearance.  That's the way our topics should proceed in my view.  By fits
and starts often and properly, since many of us are not scientists per se, but
generally ! in that direction.

"Let a hundred flowers bloom" as far as new conjectures are concerned--but then
nip them without mercy, if not quite in the bud then well in advance of the
first signs of withering.  And Listmaster, please accept my firm appreciation
for your continuing work in this regard!

Ken Herrick