Re: strange variac problem

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Greg

Are you sure that it is a 240V Variac?  I have run a 140V Variac on
240V with a resistive ballast.  With about 7.2kVA+ being drawn from
line, I was probably very lucky to see about 3kVA making it to the HV.

If the Variac is saturating, you will know it.  It will be humming loudly,
and line currents will start rapidly increasing toward the moon...

Check your line voltage with a o'scope.  If you are saturating, wave
distortion will hose up your analog meter readings... (that is you need true
RMS voltage and current meters).   FWIW.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>