Help making tesla coil and jacobs ladder

Original poster: "Robb by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <robb-at-kc.rr-dot-com>

Hello folks, im new to the mailing list.

I am seeking advice and guidance on building a Tesla coil using
a 12,000 volt 30ma Neon Sign transformer.

I have searched the net, and while I can probably figure it out,
I must admit that im not as electrical savy as I'd want, to undertake
designing one myself.

I dont want to burn up the transformer, as I want to use it for other
projects as well, and I dont want to do anyhting that can get someone
hurt.

Can anyone out there help me / tell me how to construct on?
Im not shooting for any goal of "50 inch arcs" or anything, just a
funtioning tesla coil that wont hurt anyone.

Also, i want to make a jacobs ladder. Correct me if im wrong, but cant
I just take 2 coat hangers, bent away from each other, and shove them
in a piece of pine wood.  Position the bottom/closest point so its close
enough its not that hard for the 12kv to arc across, then let air
ionization and the spread of the wires do the rest.

PS, this transformer, i bought on ebay, is a Franceformer.
Its completely potted in a steel casing.  Does it have any capacitors
inside that I need to worry about, or is it probably just a transformer?
Also.. I need output wires for the unit.  Any suggestions?
Will I need to use spark plug wires, to handle the voltage?

Thanks much folks, I appreciate it.

-Robb