Re: Stop the nonsense

Hi Malcolm,

You last statement about boundary conditions regarding longitudinal waves
stuck in my head all day...  Boundary conditions may be "necessary" for
such waves in that I cannot think of a longitudinal wave system that does
not have very sever boundary conditions.

Dave's flat coil has such boundaries very near the coil, but after say a
foot or two, the waves are going to disperse drastically in a nice
spherical wave front.  The very long wavelength relative to the coil is a
big problem too.

Dave is working right on top of the coil which is the "best place".  Trying
to make a coherent longitudinal wave like a laser or maser would be
"tough"...  but right above the windings the waves are nice and flat.

It is a bit odd in that the center of the wave is high voltage while the
outer edges of the circle are at low voltage.  That voltage differential
may just twist the wave into looking just like a traditional point source :-p

I am not too concerned about the wave types as I am about other questions:

What is the voltage profile of a "flat" secondary?

Is the standard equation for inductance of a spiral we use for conventional
primaries still usable for many winding flat secondary coils?

What about good ol' Cself, Fo (calculated?), terminal...  what kind of
terminal does one use???

Dave seems to be getting pretty small arcs considering the power input.  Is
the flat secondary an obvious "poor performer"?

Racing arcs are probably far worse in such a coil but the coupling may also
be far higher...

Lots of questions are raised as the secondary is flattened...

Cheers,

	Terry

At 11:50 AM 2/13/2002 +1300, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>          Great post! Speaking for myself, interpretation of results
>is the only issue I am dealing with on this topic. Claims that
>something is being produced must, in my opinion, be backed by hard,
>unequivocal evidence. With regard to Dave's experiments, I haven't
>seen any such piece of evidence. Plenty of theoretical musings, yes.
>
>     Anyone who doubts the existence of longitudinal waves of energy
>is denying the classic school experiment with a slinky and the
>evidence of their own ears (what does a loudspeaker produce?). I
>should point out with regard to the issue of dispersion, that is a
>factor that depends on whether the transmission medium is bounded or
>not.
>
>Regards all,
>Malcolm

snip...