Re: CAVITY TC?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Think this bounced first time due to a bad address.  On the subject of
> spark-excited cavities, they have been around for a long time and are a
> fairly simple source of pulsed microwave  signals.  Not good for much
> but demos, due to lousy waveform.  However, toward the end of WW2 the
> Germans apparently built and fielded an S-Band (3300 MHz) jammer using
> just this arrangement; in this case the lousy spectrum was an
> advantage.  Haven't found any data on how well the thing worked.

>         Another spark-excited system that the Germans (GEMA?) built and
fielded
> was a very high power VHF radar using a pulsed transmitter.  The
> frequency was about 100 to 150 MHz and the peak power in the megawatts,
> which is a pretty good stunt in that band.  Again, no record of how well
> it worked, just the German nomenclature for it.  Of course, Hertz's
> original transmitters also put out fairly high-powered pulsed RF
> signals!

	The Allies had some powerful, airborne jammers, tho I've not seen
	details as to what spark sources were used, i believe they were
	spark driven.

	Corum's (actually: one of the Grad Students) that I saw
	described in detail, ran at about 160 Mhz, with 'sine wave'
	drive, using a '1/4 wave whip' (in a can... as i recall) as
	a resonator.  Gave a 'flame like' discharge .  Described in
	EITHER one of the ITS proceedings, or the Corum's book
	'Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils'.  (i think....).  If one insists a
	Tesla coil be spark driven and inductive, it wasn't.
	(but, then: some of what Tesla built weren't....)

	best
	dwp