Re: Pulse Air Idea

But perhaps one could use some form of vibrating whatever to generate
nicely timed puffs.. Essentially, this would combine the aircompressor
function with the timing function (in a rotary gap, it might be geared).
It would also reduce the total air consumption, which might have some benefits.

Think of how twostroke motors use the crankcase to compress the intake air
charge.

And, for a more novel implementation, consider that an acoustic resonator
can generate quite strong pulses of air. One could actually use the heated
air from the spark gap to excite the resonator, which in turn generates
puffs to quench. Imagine, for instance, that you have your gap at the open
end of a tube.  The pressure pulse from the spark propagates up the tube,
reflects back down from the open end (or a closed end, for that matter),
and arrives just in time to puff out the next spark.  The resonant
frequency of the tube would need to be the same as the break rate for this
to work.  With a suitable resonator, with really high Q, and good design,
one might be able to get really high air velocities.  For what it's worth,
the tube would need to be fairly long for typical breakrates.  at 1000
ft/sec for sound in air, and break rates of 120 Hz (8.33mSec), you'd need
tubes around 4 feet long

Another approach is some form of Rijke tube resonator.

There you go then, a double tuned electrical resonator, with an impulse
excitation using an acoustic resonator.