Flat secondary measurements was Re: Stop the nonsense

Hi Paul,

At 01:06 PM 2/14/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>Terry wrote:
>> I meant I could not "predict" with calculator, computer, paper...
>
>Well I'm sure we can.  Just a slight mod to the tssp software will
>do.  There's nothing special about a flat coil - it can be obtained
>from a solenoid by a continuous deformation with no changes in
>symmetry.  Proximity of the primary could be a real problem, I'd
>expect to see a lot of wasteful and damaging corona around the
>secondary.

Neat!  TSSP should easily be adaptable to the flat configuration.

>Terry, I'll bet an evening with E-Tesla6's code will give you an
>E-Tesla7 that will do flat spiral secondaries.  No big deal.  No
>new physics.  I still recommend shrinking your Gaussian sphere down
>to a conformal cylinder, or in this case, a pancake.  You'll get the
>same answers but with simpler and quicker code.

I want to make a flat secondary too to directly compare results and verify.
 E-Tesla needs to have its results checked against the real case.  It has
too many things that can go wrong (like the programmer).  I would never
trust a result from it that was not verified.  I have tried changing the
Guassean surface before and have always gone back to the sphere!  If it
works, computer time is of zero concern there.

>Terry wrote:
>> I cannot think of a longitudinal wave system that does
>> not have very sever boundary conditions
>
>Hardly surprising, if what you call a longitudinal wave is what
>everyone else calls a displacement current.  You won't get a 'wave'
>because the displacement current 'field' can't have any turning
>points - the maxima and minima must be on the boundaries.

Ok, I'll have to think on that more *;-)

>> What is the voltage profile of a "flat" secondary?
>
>I'll calculate it, if you're prepared to measure it as a check on the
>program!

I am collecting parts to construct a flat secondary.  I am not sure "how"
yet but I guess I will figure it out.  Dave went through a bunch of wire
and iterations before he could do it so I am sure it will be a challenge.
Dave kindly offers to do the work for $75 (I think he said it takes 8
hours!!) but I want to learn how too.

Cheers,

	Terry