RE: Stop the nonsense

Original poster: "Randy by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <randy-at-gte-dot-net>

At 11:00 PM 2/13/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>
>
>Hi Randy,
>
> >I must confess to having not read Tesla's own writings, yet. What
>"peer-reviewed" journal did he submit to? What peers did he have? (any
>references to Marconi, or Hertz' works will be summarily ignored..however
>"unscientific" that may be...)
>
>Tesla was vice president of IEEE at one point.  His peers were Lord Kelvin,
>JJ Thomson, and others.  But most of Tesla's work was so unique, such as his
>AC induction motors, that he had no peers.  Tesla finally had to start his
>own company to get his motors built as nobody would believe they would work
>or that they could perform any useful service.  Even after the motor was
>demonstrated it took quite an effort to show how it could be put to work.
>
>Tesla's articles were often published in Century Magazine, Electrical
>Review, Electrical World and the Electrical Experimenter.  Tesla also
>commissioned a book called Inventions, Researches and Writings based on his
>lectures, which was published in 1894.  Tesla also submitted his works to
>the US, British and Canadian patent offices.

Thanks, that certainly answers alot of questions.
I"m sure everyone <well, "fairly sure"> would agree that there just *were*
no peers for discussing polyphase AC, as an example.

>I find it rather odd that this list is about Tesla coils and many of the
>subscribers haven't even read Tesla's literature.  As a result, most people
>on this list believe Tesla experimented mostly with solenoid coils.  This is
>far from the truth.  Tesla worked most of his time with conical and spiral
>secondaries.  He did this in his thirties and forties.  After Wardencliffe,
>Tesla branched out into resonance with fluids.  I hear the uninformed on
>this list talk about Tesla as though he had lost his senses after
>Wardencliffe.  In fact, that is when he invented the frequency meter, fluid
>meter, auto ignition system, fluid turbine, and VTOL aircraft among others.
>After Wardencliffe, Tesla also worked more with electrostatics on a small
>scale as well as longitudinal waves.

I feel somewhat guilty about having not read his works.... but I *shall* read
them. My late father was in awe of Tesla.... I'd regularly go to the library as
a teen and look for *anything* about Tesla. There WAS nothing. This was in
the mid-1970's. Girls and cars interrupted my quest for knowledge... but now
that I'm an old man of 42, I promise to do better.

>It is amusing to hear some guys boasting how loopy Tesla must have been.  To
>someone who has read all of Tesla's available literature and studied all of
>his patents, such opinions appear to be of fearful stuffed shirts more
>concerned about job security than science.  Even when there are claims of
>successful or provocative experiments, the stuffed shirts just blow it off
>like it was a plague instead of searching for the truth.

Well, I'm going to badly mangle the following: I saw a .sig file tonight,
which I
cannot recall exactly, nor can I name who the person was quoting... basically,
people considered "normal" adjust their lives to fit the existing world,
those considered
"kooks" attempt to make the world adjust to their beliefs/knowledge....
Therefore, all progress is made by people that some would consider "kooks".

>I'll tell you stuffed shirts what I will do.  I don't desire to disrupt this
>otherwise successful and prolific mailing list.  I'll take this discussion
>of spiral secondaries to my own list and not post here on this topic
>anymore.  That should return calm.

Seriously ***bad*** idea. As I have found out, Terry isn't terribly shy
about letting users know if they stray too far afield.

And although I haven't noticed any lack of "calm" here, if I want "calm"
reactions from learned-people, I go join a Delphi Forum about growing
petunias. Sometimes a vociferous response is called for. And, sometimes
VERY SMART people are also VERY INTENSE people. Sometimes
very smart people have gotten fame and/or fortune, by being able to
summarize their thoughts in fifty words or less, and moving on, due to
lack of time.

You, very clearly, think you have some concepts that bear further
investigation. Departing the list, and posting your thoughts away
from here won't further your cause, or anyone else's. Imagine some-
one experimenting along similar lines, ten years hence. Finding out
what you've done previously would possibly require that he or she
land *precisely* upon the one post I'm replying to here. While I
imagine that search engine technology of the future will prove me
exceedingly incorrect....it's X hours/weeks/years of YOUR time
that might be lost. And, multiply THAT by however many other
people walk down the same path you're treading right now.

If any petunia-growers on this list feel the need to flame me,
I'll understand.

>The spiral coils list is at... http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/spiralcoils/
>
>Dave

I'll take a peek at the URL in a moment....

Best regards,

Randy