Re: Grounding pigs

Chris -

If the strap connects the center terminal to the case and the case is grounded
and 240v is placed across the other two end terminals, there will be 120v at
each end terminal with reference to the center tap and 240v across both end
terminals. With no strap, you'll read the same thing, only the center terminal
is floating. With or without the strap, the output voltage is the same. The
center lug in normal power distribution would be used to run a ground reference
from the loads earth ground. The case of course is connected to the center
terminal to ground the case. In Tesla service, there's no reason to put a
ground reference in the center of the winding. I find the center terminal is
just an extra wire to run, so I leave it floating.

Bart