Re: dielectric strength of hot glue was Re: Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> > I "think"* hot glue is polypropylene dissolved in
> paraffin wax.  It may
> > indeed have very good voltage standoff.  I have
> never had a problem with it
> > breaking down or tracking sooner that it should.
> But different
> > manufacturers may do very different things too.
> >
> > *I checked some MSDS sheets for it but they only
> list paraffin and they
> > seem to hide the ingredients...  They probably
> want to keep it a 'secret'
> > like the manufactures of carbonated flavored sugar
> water :-)))  I supposed
> > there is a patent for hot glue that tells all...

Paraffin and some altered grade polyethylenes, such as
AC-617 And AC- 629 as Manufactured by by firms such as
Allied Chemical are used as lubricants in the plastic
and rubber industries. When a batch of material is
processed by banbury mixing, it is usually processed
into pellets or slabs by use of a bicylindrical large
set of rollers, known as a mill. The lubricant may
help the mill to grab and work the material without
itself causing this friction to make the material
stick to the mill. Polyethylene and paraffin are very
chemically similar and in some respects these poly
grades act a waxes with higher melting ponts than the
common paraffin. The firm I worked for also produced
wax concentrates, whereby the very low melting AC 617
could be slowly added to a fluxing polyethylene via
banbury mixing so that the two materials could be
mixed to derive a different end compound. The wax must
be added slowly or the mixture will not have the
friction to come up to its batch drop temperature, in
which case the mixing time would be easily made 2 to 3
times longer. Poly welds can also be made by hot air
gun with poly welding strand, and easily simulate that
of hot glue guns.

> > I note that in another post today Antonio Carlos
> M. de Queiroz calls hot
> > glue an "excellent insulator" so maybe he knows
> what it is.
> >
> > I don't mean to get a big thread started on hot
> glue, but it does hold a
> > few of our coils together ;-))
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >         Terry

=====
Tesla Research Group; Pioneering the Applications of Interphasal Resonances
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/