Re: 1/4 wave theory

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Michael,
        fear not!, while this particular question has come up before, it has
been shown both experimentally and theoretically that 1/4 wave length wire
is irrelevant to TC performance. The resonant frequency of a TC secondary
is a function of its inductance and its self capacitance, and not on any
magical length of wire.

The 1/4 wave length "theory" comes from the thought that signals travel in
a straight wire at the speed of light (or something related to it, slightly
less for various choices of conductor). BUT, in a TC the wire that would be
100 feet away in a straight line antenna (where 1/4 wave theory does apply)
will only be a fraction of an inch away in a TC coil, and the inductive
and capacitive coupling between those portions of the coil that are 100 feet
appart wire length wise are "much closer" in the electrical (and physical)
sense. So the propagation speed of signals along a coil do not have anything
to do with the propagation speed in straight wire.

-Peter Lawrence.

>Original poster: "McQuay, Michael by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Michael.McQuay-at-wcg-dot-com>