Making Flat secondaries - disaster #1...

Hi All,

I worked on my new flat secondary tonight and I wanted to warn you 'not' to
try this method ;-P

I took a sheet of 18 x 18 inch plate glass 1/4 inch thick and I glued a 1/4
inch brass bolt to the center with silicone.  I got a big "Lazy Susan" turn
table bearing to rotate the glass on.

The plan was to use double sided tape on the glass to hold the #24 wire
windings as I turned them to place:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/flat0.jpg

Once done, I could spray coat it to make it stronger.  An alternative was
to use spray adhesive in place of the tape.

This is how it turned out:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/flat1.jpg

I think the inductance is sort of low :o))

The basic materials are all sound but the #24 wire could easily pull away
from the tape in large chunks.  The tape was no match at all for the
stiffness of the wire.

"Next", I am thinking of using a second sheet of glass (I really worry
plastic will not be stiff enough) and spacing it at 21.5 mil to wind the
coil between the sheets.  I will probably have to glass drill a hole in the
sheets for the terminal and bolt to hold the sheets together.  Wow!!  I am
really looking forward to drilling the glass =:O)))  The winding will have
to be loose enough so as not to press against the sheets too much.  A tiny
bit of pressure from each wind could add up to a ton (maybe literally) when
500 winds are in place.  One disadvantage of having the wire between sheets
is that I can't probe it for secondary voltage profiles.  Maybe not a big
deal since Paul's programs are real good :-))  I sort of wonder what effect
the coil holding forms will have on the coil...

Cheers,

	Terry