RE: *****Grounding question

Original poster: "Chris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chris-at-atomic-pc-dot-com>

Hi,

Some OBITs (maybe certain NST's too??) don't have a third prong on their
plug!  And I'm not talking about a homemade, stripped-Romex "suicide cord"
that some list members may or may not have, uh... seen someone else using)

That third ground wire on the plug provides a return path for the 120/240V
AC should there be a break in the "neutral" wire anywhere between you and
the power station (hmm... or if there be a HV kickback into the primary),
but... that dedicated ground rod / pipe is a must... go to Home Depot or
something, they have them for about 8-10 dollars, nice tall zinc rods with
a thick copper cladding... and I'd also recommend doing your coiling on an
elevated wooden floor or platform to add some resistance to the circuit
your body would otherwise form w/ ground- you could make a wood floor (no
nails!) supported by kiln-dried wooden 6x6's for example.
- even though you could still get a !-at-#$ of a shock, it "probably" won't
kill you, not as easily as it would if you were standing on solid earth.

It's a curious thing to watch a TC send arcs into iron nails in the
workbench, even when these nails aren't connected to anything but lots and
lots of bare wood that's elevated quite a bit above the floor...

Chris