Re: Ballast

Tesla list wrote:

<Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 2/15/02 2:36:28 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> I have to reply to my own post here.  Robert is correct.  I thought these
cores
> were powdered or sintered ferrite.  This one is not.  It is made as Robert
> describes, one piece of thin steel wound tightly over itself until it is 1.1"
> thick with a 1.8" diameter hole in the center.
> Ed Sonderman

	If you don't gap those (or any other closed cores) properly they are
going to act as saturating reactors, not as linear inductors.  You have
to keep the flux density in the core below say 15000 gauss at the most,
and the only way to do that in the case of a few turns with lots of
voltage is to introduce an air gap.

Ed