Re: Variacs - Overpowering an NST.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/16/02 12:24:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi all,
>
> The first thing i'll say is I don't have a variac or NST, but I was just
> wondering - Variacs are commonly used to overpower and underpower equipment,
> check to see what their working range is. Would overpowering an NST kill it?
> If so, how far would an average 120/240 NST go overpowered?

Hi Neil,
         Overvolting an NST will eventually shorten its life span. More =
shorter. However, there is more than one parameter:
1. How well-made is the particular transformer?
2. What was its age and condition at start?
3. What environment will it be operating in? (air, oil, damp climate, etc.)
4. How long, how often and how far over the rated voltage?

With a lot of accurate data one could develop "mortality tables" for a variety
of NSTs but again, that's only probabilities.
It's like how many times can you drive above the posted speed limits before you
get busted for speeding. Obviously how fast, how often, and under what
conditions varies the results.

Matt D.
G3-1085
"Any living Rock Star will tell you that drugs have not killed him."George
Carlin ~1972)