Re: Flat Spiral Pancake & Multilayer Secondary Coils (fwd)

Original poster: "Mike Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

> A smaller 4" coil can produce a 4-6" white arc of electricity so powerful as
> to disintegrate 1/8" tungsten rod -at- 400 watts being drawn from the mains.
> (This particular coil was demonstrated by Bill Wysock of Tesla Technology
> Research in Denver)

    A couple of comments.  First, I find your research on disruptive
discharge coils interesting,
as this is obviously a neglected aspect of
Tesla's research into high frequency apparatus.  There is no question
that alternate transformer configurations have an effect on efficiency and
the characteristics of
the discharge.
    Nevertheless, there are a few innacuracies on your webpage.

    ": The transformer is smaller than most neon sign transformers at 3.75"
x 3.125" x 4.5". It's
output is only 2000V."

    Although smaller physically, the Mot you have displayed can eat
up over 1.5 kw without external ballast.

    "Using a spark gap and even an efficient designed tube-coil one could
only expect at best a 1
or 2" thin purple spark."

    Tube coils are not efficient at all.  A significant percentage of the
power usage in a tube
coil is consumed by the filament.  Typical filament transformers can range
from 10 to 50 Amps at
several volts.  Secondly, tube coils that use a single Mot can put out over
20 inch discharges.

     "There are no tricks in this photography in any way -If the
transformer is short-circuited
when live it produces barely a buzzing 3/8" arc."

    If the Mot pictured were to be short circuited, it would consume
varying amounts of power
based upon how far the electrodes were held apart.  Even at 3/8's inch
however, the power
consumed would be considerable.  At 3 inches, probably a good deal more.  I
can't explain why you
experienced "barely a 3/8 inch buzzing" when short circuiting the pictured
transformer.  Were you
using any kind of current limiting?
    Other than this, great website and great research.  I look forward to
hearing more about this
high frequency coil.  I'm especially impressed by the quenched spark gap.
        --Mike