Re: mmc testimonial

Hi Greg,

On 19 Feb 2002, at 8:12, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

> Malcolm,
>
> I pulled apart one of the caps. The outer layers were made with foil,
> about the same thickness as regular kitchen foil. However, the inner
> layers appear to be polypropylene with a "shiny" coating that is
> translucent. It looks like the silvery plastic bags you get computer
> parts in.  Isn't this metallised polypropylene?

Sounds like it - in which case, the spec isn't telling the whole
truth. However, I wouldn't personally treat self-healing properties
as a panacea for marginal designs. If the cap periodically breaks
down and heals, its capacitance will be changing. I must pull one of
mine apart and check.

Regards,
Malcolm