Re: FW: NON-static shocks from unpowered secondary?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/18/02 5:25:23 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Patrick replied:
>
> The tesla coil is not running (nor is any other tesal coil) and the coil is
> completely removed from the rest of the system. As mentioned above, I could
> be
> putting the coil away for storage or something.
>

> Gary concludes:
>
> Ahh, I see!  A static DC charge is the only possible source of energy that
> could persist for a time span of seconds after turning off the power.  There
> is
> no mechanism to keep an AC oscillation alive for so long.  If the ground
> connection to the base of the coil is disconnected after the coil is turned
> off, then the coil and top load could become charged to a DC static potential
> relative to ground from the static charge that accumulated on the surface of
> the secondary.
>

> Regards, Gary Lau

We have discussed this phenomena in the past.  I thought the conclusion was
that a static charge is being stored in either the secondary former (plastic /
dielectric) or in the coating that was applied to the finished secondary.  Both
of my coils do this as well.

Ed Sonderman