re: spiral coil test suggestions

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Dave,

> So if there are only certain times in the cycle when energy can be added,
> then there are times in the cycle when there is more power than at others.
> Therefore the wave form will not be a perfect wave, and in fact, every sine
> wave has a damped component depending on the efficiency of the entire
> resonant system.  But this is apparently not how engineers see it.  Somehow
> the wave generator magically distributes the energy perfectly even
> throughout the entire cycle.  And I'm a dunce for not believing this fairy
> tale.

Mathematically take the difference between the voltage of the dampened
oscillator and an ideal sine wave voltage - this difference equals the
energy that must be supplied to keep the oscillator outputting a perfect
sine wave. Mathematically this difference will be a smooth continuous
function of time, not a pulse. The notion that energy can only be added
in "pulses" or that there are only certain times that energy can be added
and that therefore energy must be added in "pulses" does not make sense
in any mathematical sense. Sounds like it is time to go back and hit
the calculus books.

-Peter Lawrence.