Re: MMC vs Maxwell comparison

Original poster: "S.Gaeta by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

> The only other MMC I
> remember seeing was Sue G's, and they seemed to run much
> cooler on her 6/60 NST coil.  It is likely that mine were warming
> in compliance with your calcs and tests though.  Not a problem.
> I may install an MMC onto the TT-42 TC also, to make it lighter,
> since it's a portable coil.  I have to get back to the STSG work
> too.  Much to do.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Hi John,
Those caps in the "radical Radio" do get slightly warm, but that only
started to happen after I neatly packed everything together in the case. The
cap assembly is very close to, and directly underneath the primary, so the
heating in my case is likely from induced RF currents. When I had everything
spread out on my bench, and ran the coil for a few minutes, there was no
noticeable heating of the cap assembly at all.

On my "Phonograph coil", the neon sign transformer is only 3" below the
primary. This is even worse because the NST is such an energy sponge, that
it even affects the output of that coil. If I run the coil with the NST
outside the case, and out of the primary field, I gain 4-5" in spark length.

Cheers,
Sue