Re: Counterpoise was (Secondary groundig to earth)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/22/02 7:33:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Chris,
>    Welcome to the fun!   What you have will work.   your copper plate is
> acting
> as a 'counterpoise'.   A counterpoise is an alternative to grounding the
> secondary because it acts and  plate of a the secondary capacitance. The
> topload is the other plate - ignoring the coil's self capacitance for the
> moment.
> Mike
>

> > I am a new coiler and i was wondering.....When ground my secondary to the
> > earth, is it necessary to put conductive stakes actually into the ground.
> > Because right now I have a copper plate underneath the enclosure i made
> that
> > my
> > coil is, and that lies flat on the groun.  Is this enough?

Chris,

We should discuss the size of the counterpoise.  How big is your copper plate?
As has been mentioned, this is an effective for lower powered coils.  Many
folks use metal screen as it is lower cost than copper plate.  I am not sure
how large it needs to be.  My guess, I would probably make it  about four times
as large as the diameter of the (flat) primary - or length of the secondary.
If the secondary is 12" high, I would use a 48" square piece of screen.  I
haven't seen any test results of work done in this area.

Ed Sonderman