Re: Useless questions

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

> I wonder whether you could use a security or traffic radar to
> determine how quickly ionisation forms around the topload, and to
> see how much of it is maintained between RF half-cycles and
> between bangs.
>
> Operating circa 10GHz, with the usual doppler output, it might be
> possible to witness streamer formation down to 1nS resolution.  The
> demodulated radar output could be displayed on a scope trace
> alongside the topvolts waveform, in order to determine where things
> are happening in relation to the RF cycle.

	Good thought.  I suspect one of the very cheap "intrusion alarm gunn
diode transmitters/receivers would have plenty of sensitivity.  That
will go on the list of experiments to try when I get a coil set up again
and "have the time".

> Radar has been used since the late 1940s to investigate the ionised
> trails left by meteors, perhaps it could be applied to the study of
> TC breakout?
> --
> Paul Nicholson

	Radar techniques are used routinely in studying the plasma formation in
fusion reactor research.

Ed