Re: Resonant Charging

Hi Winston -

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz
> twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> I'm not sure how resonant charging works.  I know that as you approach
> the purely resonant size from the smaller than resonant side, resonant
> rise increases.  At purely resonant size there is (in theory) unlimited
> voltage rise (or am I wrong here too?).

The inductive and capacitive reactances cancel, but there are still resistive
limitations, so the term "unlimited" only refers to a point where the
opposition to current in an AC waveform is not limited by inductive or reactive
components.

>  What happens when you go above resonant?

With pencil and paper in hand, draw two lines crossing to form a big X. Label
one line XL and the other XC. Label the top of the paper "above resonance", the
bottom of the paper "below resonance", and the point where the lines cross is
the "resonant frequency" (maximum current).

Notice, the further above or below resonance you are, the greater the distance
between XL and XC. If you actually graphed out real measurements of XL and XC,
you would end up with a big X after connecting the dots (although it may not be
as pretty as the X on your paper).

Take care,
Bart