help NST potting

Original poster: "Chris Greci by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <christo4style-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I am in the middle of potting an NST i got a while back.  I first tried the
solvent method (gasoline).  And it didn't seem to affect the tar at all.
Then I tried the oven method, and even at 300 degrees for a few hours the
tar only got soft and flakey, like it was extra dry tar.  I almost got all
the tar off but there is still a significant amount tar coating on the
primary and secondary.  I think it has carbon tracks and I want to make sure
I fix the problem.  Is there something else i should try, like a different
solvent?  IS it necessary to get all the tar off around the primary and
secondary?  I can't even get close to chipping the stuff off at room
tempature.  Any suggestions?
-chris

Chris Greci