Re: help NST _de_potting

> I am in the middle of potting

	???

> an NST i got a while back.

	Usually a coiler needs to DEpot an NST.

	Informal Definitions:
		potting: to seal up an electrical thing in an
		appropriate goop, for protection (of the device or user),
		for insulation, or for other purposes.

		DE potting:
		to remove the goop, for service, modification, etc.
		Techniques vary with the components, the goop and
		the level of irritation...

> I first tried the solvent method (gasoline).  And it didn't seem to
> affect the tar at all.

	Also tends to catch fire...

> Then I tried the oven method, and even at 300 degrees for a few hours the
> tar only got soft and flakey, like it was extra dry tar.  I almost got all
> the tar off but there is still a significant amount tar coating on the
> primary and secondary.  I think it has carbon tracks and I want to make sure
> I fix the problem.  Is there something else i should try, like a different
> solvent?  IS it necessary to get all the tar off around the primary and
> secondary?  I can't even get close to chipping the stuff off at room
> temperature.  Any suggestions?

	There are those a deal more skilled than i...

	best
	dwp